Sunday, March 22, 2009

I'm a Wreck...a long blog

What a rollercoaster ride....So I go to the dr. and get the regular blood test to check for glucose levels....and don't think anything of it.  Everything was normal w/ my first pregnancy...so why would this be any different?  I get a phone call a few days later from my dr. office telling me that my levels were elevated...and I need to go to a lab, and get my blood taken 4 FREAKING times in a 3 hour time frame.  This poor nurse soon found out how terrified I am of needles / shots / blood / etc..by my overwhelmed reaction to her call.  So I called the lab, made an appointment, researched gestational diabetes.... and after reading up a little bit was no longer AS scared of needles (still scared, but my mind was now distracted), as I was of the complications that can happen during delivery because of the side effects of this type of diabetes.    fat babies = babies getting stuck, breaking their shoulders, or me breaking my pelvis, or having to have a c-section (which I do know are pretty normal now a days...)...preeclampsia, baby having underdeveloped lungs....

I had to fast from the night before....so Thursday I go in to get my blood taken, and 4 viles, 3 hours, a nurse for a new best friend, a STARVING stomach,  and 2 bruised arms later I am done....and actually feeling okay about the situation.  Really truly thinking that I would be just fine.  I had my 30 week appointment the day after my appointment at the lab and the doctor also, tried to calm me down, explaining that 75% of the second glucose tests come back normal....etc...later that day I get a call from the dr. office informing me that my levels once again, came back elevated.  I had a little break down in my car....finding out I'll have to prick my finger 4 times a day to check my blood sugar for the rest of my pregnancy was not exactly what I wanted to hear.   

I know that I sound like a lunatic, and I do realize that there are so many other things that could be wrong....and I should just be grateful that this is the only thing...and I am grateful that it isn't something worse....but it's hard not to compare this pregancy to my first one...and not freak out a little...

 (Thanks to Tiana for watching Damon while I was gone for 4 hours! - and thanks to Jackie for the ride so I didn't have to walk home in the rain storm!)

If anyone is as clueless as I was about this pregnancy issue .....here's a little info in a nut shell...

One website said "We don't know what causes gestational diabetes, but we have some clues.  The placenta supports the baby as it grows.  Hormones from the placenta help the baby develop.  But these hormones also block the action of the mother's insulin in her body.  This problem is called insulin resistance.   Gestational diabetes starts when your body is not able to make and use all the insulin it needs for pregnancy.  Without enough insulin, glucose cannot leave the blood and be changed to energy.  Glucose builds up in the blood to high levels"....etc....

My sweet hubby gave me a blessing to calm me down, and to help me have the strength to deal with this.... and as long as I'm not talking about it I've stayed pretty calm...at least since Friday night (was a rough one).  

I was going to post some pics of my bruised arms...but that's just weird....so forget it.  Wish me luck! 

22 comments:

TheKeilShpeel said...

Oh girl.. i feel so bad for you! I was asking Ben if he knew of someone in your family that was diabetic. I was reading a whole bunch of sites too trying to understand it as soon as you said you had it and there's no way you should be getting this.. you are not someone high risk for getting it. I hate hate hate needles too. oh.. I hope the rest of this pregnancy is uneventful for you and the baby is healthy..even if he a little heavier ;) You're in our prayers.. Good luck on pricking your finger.. ouch.. do you have to or is there another way around it.

The Huguelys said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry. I should have asked you today, but I didn't think you would find anything out until Monday. Good luck with the finger pricks (at least it isn't your arms)

Kristy said...

Michelle , I am just a few weeks behind you in my pregnancy and my doctor is suspecting getational diabetes for me as well. This is my third child and I've never had it before.I'm freaked out just like you.Wish you the best and maybe we can chat about it sometime.

Kurt and Katie Rowley said...

OMIGOSH! So crazy! Just know that we are thinking about you and now we are definitely praying for you!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Michelle, we love you guys and will pray for you and your baby... I'm sure everything will work out and in about ten weeks, you'll be able to hold your little guy and look him in his eyes! I can't believe how close your due date is. I'm so glad Mike gave you a blessing! If you need ANYTHING, you'd better call me!!

Chelsea said...

Oh, you poor girl. I hate needles, so I'd freak out too. I have to try really hard not to faint. Ohh, thank goodness that this is just a thing during pregnancy. Wouldn't that be hard to be diabetic and have to watch your sugar intake for your WHOLE life? Yikes. Good luck!

Melinda said...

I am so sorry. I can understand hating the 3 hour test since I have had to do it with all three pregnancies, luckily they have always come back normal for me. I'm sure you will be fine and if there is any consulation to all this it is that usually I think the babies tend to come a little early. I hope everything goes well this last little bit!

Tiffani Mills said...

Michelle- so sorry you have to go through all that! I think pricking the finger is as painful as getting blook taken- but my fingers are sensitive- haha! ( And dont freak out more on my part- I have only had to do the finger prick once- so really I dont know!) You will be a pro with tough fingers in days! Everything will be okay! Only 10 more weeks!! We will keep you in our prayers.

Jake and Roz said...

Hey honey, don't stress. I know SOOOO many people who have had this during their pregnancies, and everything has been perfectly FINE. Stop looking up things on the internet, they tend to scare the crap out of you. Just listen to your doctor, ok? And if you end up having to have a c-section, honestly don't worry about that, either. In my case, I wish I had gone ahead and had one, since it would actually have been safer (Cade came out with the cord wrapped around his neck, after I had been in induced labor for 27 hours). The only reason that they list mortality rates as higher for c-section births is because so many of them are last minute emergencies, often times due to something compeltely unrelated to the pregnancy itself. So please try not to stress! I know, that's such a stupid thing to say to a pregnant woman - just getting out of bed is stressful! You will just have to do without church treats for about 10 more weeks :) Keep us updated. You're in our prayers!

Alex and Heather said...

Aw Michelle! I'm so sorry. That sucks! Pregnancy induced illnesses are not fun. But, I am living proof that they go away. It's just getting through them that is the tough part. Take care of yourself and know that I love you.

Watkins said...

OH MICHELLE! I AM SO SORRY, THAT IS NOT FUN AT ALL! I HOPE THAT THE REST OF YOUR PREGNANCY GOES SMOOTHLY WITH NO PROBLEMS. IT'S CRAZY HOW EACH PREGNANCY IS SO DIFFERENT. HANG IN THERE! JUST THINK YOU WILL BE A PRO WITH NEEDLES AND PRICKS BY THE END OF THIS PREGNANCY!

Cassie said...

oh no Michelle!!! I'm so sorry... much sympathy on the whole needle deal I hate them too.Good luck with all of this we will be keeping you guys in our prayers!!

Steph said...

Hey Michelle,(this is Stephanie, as in Bowman's wife...). that's scary! I'm sorry, that sounds rough. Good luck, hang in there. We're so excited to see you guys in a couple of months!

Wendy said...

Holy smokes...I'm sorry, that's sounds awful...I can't even imagine. Hope things get better or easier soon. Take care.

alexandra said...

I am really sorry to read all of this. Such bad luck! You really are an unlikely candidate for gestational diabetes! Please let me know if we can help out in any way.

Nielsen Family said...

Michelle I feel so bad for you. If it makes you feel better Jennifer had diabites with all of her kids and it workout fine they were all born a little early and fine. Good luck!!!

Syndi said...

I am so sorry-- Pregnancy is hard enough when you don't have to worry about this. But you are a tough cookie and I know you'll get through it. Let me know if you need anything from us.

Kacy & Adam said...

Oh Michelle! I really feel bad for you right now. I hope everything is okay and hopefully the levels will subside ASAP. I know people say it won't last forever but I know it totally sucks while you have to do it. I really hope all is a little better today!

Anonymous said...

Michelle - I wish I was there with you right now!! I'm sure you're feeling a lot better right now, and if not, I'm always here to talk! My only advice is to not read anything on the internet - there is so much out there, and there is no reason to get yourself worried or stressed out. Especially on message boards - I had to stop reading them because I would get so freaked out about every little thing. I love you babe and can't wait until your little one is here!

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

The pain an agony we go through to bring these cute little critters here. I am sorry that you are going through so much stress. I am glad that you asked for a blessing. I know they really help me. I hope things get better. :)

Heather said...

I didn't realize that you had not gone through this whole thing before. I am sorry that I probably totally freaked you out about my mother-in-law. I am so sorry. I just have to say that you really will do just fine. It is such a blessing to have the priesthood in your home, on call whenever you need it. Again I am really sorry. What kind of friend am I?????

Rachelle said...

Michelle,
You are a strong person and I know everything will work out. You are in my thoughts and prayers.