Friday, January 9, 2009

First Time Ski-ers

okay, forgive me for not knowing how to spell "ski-ers"...i'm a dork....I know I almost never have stories to tell when I blog, but this one was too much fun not to...

Here are some pics from Damon's (and my) first ski outing....I was the one taking the pics, so shoot, there aren't any of me.  Too bad.  Mike is an excellent 
ski-er and was SO excited to take Damon and I for the first time.  I was a big wimp and stayed on the bunny hill....being pregnant will add some caution to such activities....
This might be a long story...but the three of us went up on New Years Eve for our ski day...and had a blast.  Damon had so much fun, I think he only really crashed twice... we thought he did great.  He loved going down the bunny hill by himself, wanted to go over and over again.  Mike took him up on the beginner lift at the end of the day, and he did pretty well, but Mike was right with him the whole time.....bad thing was he could not learn the "snow plow" - (an important thing to learn, since it's how you STOP).  It was a really fun, beautiful, sunny, warm day and I loved spending the whole day with my little family.
  New Years Day Damon woke up and asked Mike to take him skiing again....Mike couldn't tell him no, so my two boys headed up to Alta again, (while I spent an excellent day shopping with my mom  :)  ).  Mike got home and had some awesome stories about our little guy.  They got up and practiced the bunny hill again...by the end of the day Damon was going up the tow rope by himself, telling Mike to  "GET YOUR OWN" if Mike would grab the rope behind him.   They went down the beginner lift twice, Damon would weave back and forth across the run, going around people, and telling Mike "I'LL MEET YOU DOWN THERE!".  Mike would point out where Damon would stop, he'd ski directly there, and stop where Mike said.  Mike was such a proud daddy, and I wish so badly that I could have been there to see it, or at least thought about giving Mike the camera.  (Our camera got dropped and the screen went out...I had no idea if any of these pictures or videos were even working when I took them...so I wasn't super concerned about taking many pictures on our trip at all...now I know they all worked, so I'm said I didn't take more).

I love this picture...my little dude renting his first pair of ski's!  He was SOOOO excited.  Can you tell? 


making their way over to the tow rope

Day 1 - Mike going up the tow rope w/ Damon

The little one in the middle is my little guy.  

my guys....they had such a fun time.  I'm so glad that this will be something that the two of them will love doing together for a very very long time.  Whether I'm there or not (most likely not).   They are so cute

Takin' a little break at the cafe

It's so scary to imagine my little guy going up on a chair lift and skiing down the side of a mountain, but that's what he did...I love that he loved it so much.  Just more to prove how much he is like his dad.   


This video was very early on Day 1.  If you listen carefully you can hear Damon yell  "woo hoo!"  which I think is hilarious, and a big "YEAH!"  right after Mike catches him.  I laugh every time I watch it.  I guess it's funnier when you were there, and when it's your own kid.  

14 comments:

Jake and Roz said...

you are so brave! Jake wanted me to go snow boarding with him last year (and no, like you, I've never been before), but I was too chicken to even try while preggo. Of course, I was pretty much the most paranoid pregnant person who has ever lived. Cade was worth every second of worry though!

Elaine said...

I love it! Great story, wonderful pictures--Damon seems way too little to be such a good skier! He's amazing!

The Wells Family said...

i am sure rob and bobby are so jealous! we were totally planning on doing that this winter...then we moved! maybe next year? i know bobby would have had blast.

this is totally something i could see damon doing. what a cutie loving the skiing and doing it all by himself. i can't believe how big our little ones really are.

Cassie said...

wow what a brave kid you have...I don't even have the guts to go skiing!!! looks like they had tons of fun though and he is one freakin' adorable ski-er:)

J & J said...

I AM SO EXCITED YOU'RE PREGNANT! congrats my friend!

Chelsea said...

That's awesome! What a brave boy, he's definitely braver (and better at skiiing) than me!

Dave and Mel said...

Dave is DYING to take the kids skiing!-we may try to go in Feb. but we'll see. Looks like Damon is an old pro already and I'm glad he and Mike had such a great time- cute video :)

Heidi :) :) ;) said...

How fun! That is cool that Damon has learned to ski at such a young age. That sounds so fun. I can't believe that you never had been skiing before? Aren't you from the state that has "the best snow on earth"? I just found that interesting, because I have never been skiing or snowboarding, but I thought I was one of the only ones. :)

I am glad that you took it easy on the slopes, being pregnant and all. I am sure that your doctor would scold you for even attempting to ski. :)

alexandra said...

Wow! Damon is so brave and athletic. He is the most coordinated little kid I have ever seen. He could razor scooter way better than me, and though I am not good, I am also 31 years old. And Damon had recently turned 3 for goodness' sake. He is so adorable. I love his happy little free spirit! The poor girls of his age group. He will devastate so many . . .

Carrie said...

I'M JEALOUS!!!!

wackywilsons said...

It's good to know you are still alive and breathing. Damon and Mike are such a cute pair....and what a great pic of Damon with those skis!

I think you are brave for letting him go down the slopes. How fun to be in so much snow....at least it looked beautiful.

I am glad you are back in MD with me...although I have not seen you in MONTHS...what's up with that? What's a girl got to do to hang out with you? Have a baby? Maybe then you'll come and visit;)

Ammon and Tara said...

That was the cutest video! What a big boy. I'm so glad you guys took pics of that. I wish I could have gone with you guys! Next time! Love you!

Andrea said...

So adorable!! I LOVE the one of Damon and his skis! He's amazing! I'm always amazed how quick some kids pick up skiing but I haven't been brave enough to take my kids yet. I'm glad to see Mike hasn't gone to the dark side (snowboarding) like everyone else, haha.

Kacy & Adam said...

That is adorable! What a dude he is!