Saturday, February 20, 2010

An Incident....

So....how many of your kids have rolled off of your bed? and....how many of them BROKE THEIR LEG because of it? Okay, Brixton didn't actually break his leg...it just looks like he did because of the cast. He has what's called a "bone buckle". It's just a little bend in his bone (femur) and he can't put any pressure on it without major pain. I'm grateful for my husband who, according to the nurses at the Emergency Room, had "great daddy instincts", and didn't really agree with them when they said that he was fine. So they took an x-ray, and he was right! There was definitely something wrong.

He just had a splint (which he wiggled his leg out of twice) for the first couple of days until we got into see the orthopedic pediatrician.

By this point...you'd really never know that anything was wrong with this kid unless you saw the cast on his leg. He's isn't fussy at all, and if he's uncomfortable, he definitely keeps it to himself. He's such a good kid.

He is still trying to crawl even with a cast on.



The best part of it all....I think this cast is weighing him down enough that he's sleeping through the night again! Have you ever seen a kid so happy to have a big old cast on his leg! It should be off in a month.



14 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

Poor baby! Poor mom and dad:(

Tiana said...

I didn't know Mike had to "fight" the nurses to get him looked at. Go Mike! Those pictures are so cute. I just love that kid's smile!!

Tiffani Mills said...

Oh I am so sorry! But he is the cutest little guy I have ever seen in a cast! He does just looks so happy like it doesn't bother him at all.

Watkins said...

OH NO! POOR LITTLE GUY! THATS SO GOOD YOU TOOK HIM IN AND MADE THEM LOOK AT HIS LEG. HOPE HE GETS BETTER FAST. HE IS SOOOOO DANG CUTE! LOVE THOSE EYES OF HIS!

TheKeilShpeel said...

That's funny he's sleeping through the night with the cast. I would think it would be harder to sleep. He seems like such a happy baby. :). Oh.. I hope the next few weeks aren't hard.

Wendy said...

He is so smiley still! I love the picture where he is 'pointing' at the cast...too cute. :) He looks so much bigger already than when you were here at Christmas!

Chelsea said...

Oh poor baby! And still smiling! My nephew did the same thing at his age to his arm, it was funny to see him going around with his little cast on because he didn't even seem to notice it was there.

Deborah said...

What a trooper! I'm glad that he is handling it well and that everything is going to be ok. I have Abbi in bed with me quite often, but ever since you mentioned this on FB, I've been super paranoid!

Jake and Roz said...

Poor guy! Cade rolled out of bed the first night we took the side of his crib down, but no damage was done (even though he somehow managed to land on his humidifier and was very angry). That must have been so scary for you guys!

Dave and Mel said...

so glad to hear it wasn't a break and he really seems like such a great, happy baby!! he is adorable! good thing Mike stood up to those ER docs...you know how they can be sometimes :)

wackywilsons said...

I love seeing the cast b/c I get a better look at those chunky thighs!

Ammon and Tara said...

oh, he's so cute michelle. i'm glad he is handling it well. what a good boy. i love these second boys, they are so good aren't they? they need to teach the firstborns a lesson! haha. love you!

Syndi said...

I can't imagine a baby in a cast-- I hope it isn't too hard to work around. Looks like he is a good sport!

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

He is such a little trooper - he is all smiles and cuteness. Mike is awesome to follow his gut feeling. We miss you guys!!!